- Everybody who is participating needs to open the Family Tree app on an Android or iOS device and sign in if prompted.
- People need to be within about 100 feet of one another -- or you can move around in a bigger crowd and scan again.
- On an iOS device, tap More at the bottom of the screen. On an Android device, tap the 3 lines in the top left.
- Tap Relatives Around Me.
- Tap Scan for Friends.
- A message pops up asking if Family Tree can access your location--you need to allow it or it can't do the scan.
- The scan starts and shows names and relationships of the people it finds.
Note: Don't take what the scan tells you as absolute truth. Especially for relationships like 17th cousin or something sorta remote like that. The results are only as reliable as the data in FamilySearch Family Tree and we all know that this data can be dubious--especially as you move back before about 1800.