- Open the Family Tree mobile app on your iOS or Android device and sign in if prompted.
- Tap a person on your pedigree, or use the magnifying glass icon to search for someone and tap the name.
- Tap the 3 dots. On iOS devices, it's on the top right, above the dark bar that has the person's name. On Android devices, it's on the right portion of that dark bar.
- On Android, tap Possible Duplicates. On iOS, first tap More, and then Possible Duplicates.
- If the system finds possible duplicates, you see a list of them.
You can scroll down the list, if there is more than one and decide which seem to be likely duplicates. For any you're sure aren't duplicate, tap Not a Match--it's right beside the large green Review Merge button.
If you see a likely duplicate, tap Review Merge. This allows you to compare the records and decide if they match. First you see a warning message, asking you to review carefully. A good reminder. I'd rather leave duplicates unmerged than make a mess by merging people who are not duplicates. Tap Continue Merge to look at the two records.
On the right you see the record you currently have in the tree and on the left is the record that might be a duplicate. Scroll down and compare the data. If you feel something on the left is more accurate than what is currently in the record, you can tap the green arrow in the left column to add information that's missing from your record or replace information that is there.
If you decide the records are not duplicates, at the bottom, tap Not a Match. Enter a reason the people are not duplicates and tap Done. Tap Not a Match in the top right corner.
If you feel they are duplicaes, tap Continue Merge. If you didn't make any changes, you see a message. Tap Continue. Enter a reason you are confident that the records are duplicates and tap Merge in the top right corner.
We can do more and more with the mobile apps, which is really nice when traveling or sitting waiting somewhere. Most of the time I still prefer working with a larger screen, but the apps have their place and are pretty handy to have.