- Consultants might sign in as a helper to enter family history information or reserve names for temple work for a person who is not comfortable using a computer.
- Consultants are more effective if they sign in as a helper and explore the tree before meeting with members and families to help them with their family history. They can see potential problems or temple opportunities ahead of a meeting and be better prepared.
- Support agents sign in as a helper when people contact Support to ask questions about Family Tree. This allows us to see the tree the way the patron sees it, allowing us to more quickly understand and solve problems.
- Support agents are instructed to never make any changes to Family Tree when signed in as a helper. They are to only use it as a tool to see what the patron sees. Consultants will sometimes make changes or enter information, but should only do that if the person they are helping asks them to.
You have 2 options. You can provide
- Your username (the one you use to sign in to FamilySearch.org) and helper number OR
- Your first and last name, birth date, and helper number.
Here are the ways you can find your helper number:
- From FamilySearch.org: Sign in and then click your name in the upper right corner. In the dark box that pops up, click Settings. Your Account page opens. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find your 5 character helper number.
- From the Family Tree app on an Android device: Tap the 3 lines in the top left corner. Tap Settings. Your Helper Number is in the Account section.
- From the Family Tree app on an iOS device: Tap More at the bottom of the screen.Tap Settings. Your Helper Number shows on the right panel in the Account section.
Your helper number is case sensitive. If it has any capital letters, you need to tell the helper that they are capitals.
As a precaution, you might want to change your Helper Number after someone has used it. You can't do that on the app, but you can do it online. Just go to your Account page where you found the number. Click in the box that contains your Helper Number and enter a different 5 letters/numbers. Any combination is fine, but don't use any special characters--just letters and numbers. Then click Save at the bottom of the screen.